Career Opportunities at MLR
Major League Rugby is currently hiring for a Match Official Director.
Director, Match Officials
Major League Rugby – Director, Competition
USA Rugby – Sr Director, Training & Education
Major League Rugby and USA Rugby are seeking applications for a Match Official Director to develop and manage a comprehensive officiating program for the league. MLR is entering its 7th season of competition and the demand for contextual refereeing is crucial to a fair competition and an exciting product for fans. MLR aims to be an aspirational destination for domestic and international referees alike, while USA Rugby is looking to focus on the development of high-performance referees. We are seeking applications commensurate with these visions. The role’s responsibilities and accountabilities are split between MLR (75%) and USA Rugby (25%).
- Development & Coaching: Create and execute a short, medium, and long-term strategic plan for match official development.
- Partnership building: Build partnerships with external stakeholders across the USA and Canadian rugby landscape that will add value to the strategic plan.
- Selection: Identify and recruit referees, assistant referees, television match officials, and technical zone officials.
- Assignment: Assignment of match officials for all MLR matches and affiliate competitions (as necessary).
- Logistics: Management of budgets + coordinate travel, accommodation, and equipment.
- Disciplinary: Coordinate with judiciary and citing commissioner panel.
- Stakeholder management: Foster a collegial environment with the match officials and developing a positive working relationship with teams.
USA Rugby Duties:
- Pathways: Sit on the USA Rugby Referee Pathways Working Group, to enhance domestic alignment with MLR’s needs. Work with Regional Managers to identify and develop talent.
- High Performance: Assist and support the HP Referee Group Manager.
Other related duties as assigned.
- Technical mastery of rugby refereeing.
- Progressive thinking to build an engaging television property.
- Pedagogical background and relevant qualifications.
- Track record of managing complex logistical operations.
- Track record of successful team management and leadership.
- Track record of budget management.
Start date (tentative): October 1st, 2023
Applications are due by September 15th, 2023 and should include a resume, cover letter, references, and a vision statement. They may be submitted to Nishant Nereyeth (Director, Competition) – firstname.lastname@example.org & Megan Ware (HR) – email@example.com.